Can I Contest an Inheritance from my Grandmother’s Will?

My grandmother recently passed away. She had written out that the house I was raised in since I was 6 yrs old be sold and the money divided equally. This is devastating to me due to the fact I was raised here and it’s home. What rights do I have if any?

If her wishes were hand-written, it is called a holographic will. Such a document is not valid in Arkansas unless it is witnessed by 3 disinterested parties. If your grandmother had a valid holographic will, her wishes must be followed. If she did not have a valid will, you will need to hire a probate attorney because her estate must be probated. This gets more complex and there are many factors that would effect what portion of her estate would pass to you. I urge you to see an attorney right away.

Update in response to Coronavirus

Your team at Martin Attorneys, PA is happy to meet with you, our clients or prospective clients by phone, Skype, or in person.

To schedule an appointment, please use the form below to arrange a meeting time and method convenient for you or call us now at 479-872-5500. We look forward to serving you!

Contact Us

Schedule Your Free Visit

Appointments are available Monday through Friday between 8:30am and 4:30pm.